We’ve been together for several years now, but it’s 2015 and I’m just not happy anymore. I know, I know; you wanted me to spoil you with fresh content and technology updates all along, but I got too busy running my business to give you the attention you needed.
Listen, Website, it’s not you. Well, it is you, but it’s not entirely your fault. You see, although I was crazy about you a few years ago, I haven’t really paid that much attention to you lately. I thought I could just “set it and forget it,” but it turns out that I was very, very wrong.
So I must ask, Website, what have you done for me lately?
• When is the last time you converted anything for me? Really, you should be capturing leads and helping me make sales every day. I need you to provide me with a steady stream of e-newsletter sign-ups, info requests, and other targeted data that pushes my customers further into the sales funnel.
• What’s that? You don’t “do” mobile? Uh-oh. The world has already gone mobile, so if you don’t work correctly across all devices (like iPhones, tablets, PCs, etc.) then I’m already losing customers.
• Why can’t I find you in Google? Of course it would be great if you were listed on the first page, but I can’t find you at all. OK, maybe I should have gotten you some SEO for your birthday or something, but I didn’t think it mattered. Now I know better.
• How did the home page get so cluttered? I need you to be clean, sleek, and modern, with targeted calls-to-action and important information “above the fold.” I guess I shouldn’t have let my Uncle Fred’s friend Twitchy do that last round of Web updates.
• Why do you take so long to load? I mean, a few seconds might not seem like a lot to you, but it is an eternity to Web visitors. They expect a page to load within a second or two, and studies show that 79 percent of shoppers will leave and not come back if they experience slow load times.
So here’s the bottom line, Website: I need more this year. More traffic, more leads, more conversions, more engagement – and I just don’t think you are up to the task. I need a new website that can deliver better results, a better user experience, and better ROI for my business. So like I said, “it’s not you”…except it is.